Go Back   Masabih Islamic Forum > The Thicket > Refutation

Refutation Only posts that are sensible, knowledgeable but otherwise controversial

Old 03-12-2011, 11:58 PM   #1
Wadood
Resident Member

Default Gustakh Statements by Hamza Yusuf

brother abdalqadir called Hamza Yusuf a wahabi. Brother Haroon asked for evidence.

I have evidence that hanson is not only a dirty wahabi, but he has insulted the Prophet salAllahu 'alayhi wa alihi wa sallam as well. I ask the faqir from marifah forums if he would promote hanson from now on.

I cannot repeat his horrendous statements. This is his 1995 speech in Toronto, Canada. I know the host of this speech, who has ties in England linked to RadicalMiddleWay.

listen from 2:35 minutes onwards; the Gustakh statements are at 4:54 minutes forward concerning our mother Sayyida Ayesha raDyAllahu 'anha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTWjosXqXJo

This is kufr
Old 03-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
kattarsunni
Resident Member

That is a VERY bad way of explaining the hadith. Very bad expression. I'm sure the Rafidi's can pick up on that.

He says Hadrat Aisha radiyAllahu anha 'refuted' RasulAllah salAllahu alayhi wasalam. And then he says she had an higher authority which was the Quran!!!
kattarsunni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
AbdalQadir
Resident Member

Quote:
brother abdalqadir called Hamza Yusuf a wahabi.

i did say this that he was a wahabi in a former life. this clip may be from that life or maybe not, because he mentions the 4 imams and ilham and so on. in any case now he is a perennialist through and through. you don't need to work so hard to find his problematic sayings like the one you have linked (where he has a lot of tawil to play with if picked on his comments). his current sayings show his true colors for what exactly he is!

this clip is a good example of the saying "neem hakeem khatra-e-jaan" in action. or to speak bluntly in english, "give a monkey a microphone..."

a couple of ironies that have developed over time, in my opinion -

1 ) he says going against the teacher means losing a grade in the western model. try saying hanson committed blunders in circles of his students now! he has bred the exact same arrogance that he speaks against.

2) his blind followers too learn early on that to regurgitate the nonsense of the few western and internet "shuyukh" like him and others is the only path of the ahlus sunnah. they think the world of ahlus sunnah scholarship is confined to these few names that show up in google search results!

3) he says something went terribly wrong in our educational system when we began to give absolute authority to the teacher - the irony is that's exactly what has gone wrong with the murid fanclub of hanson, nuh "not intrinsically impossible to be a liar" keller, faraz rabbani, et al.

the jahalah as i see it (those who know please correct my mistakes) and as pointed out by brother kattarsunni -

1) calling the questioning to learn of our mother 3aisha, radi Allahu 3anha a "refutation". what is his explanation for the angels "questioning" Allah "ataj3alu feehaa man yufsidu feehaa wa yasfiku-d dimaa'". questioning to learn is different than questioning to refute/object.

2) calling the Quran as a "higher authority" than the Prophet. it was none other than the same ummul mu'mineen who said that the Prophet's character is the Quran. the Prophet is the law giver. it is HE who calls the Quran as the Quran - and it is HE who explains the commands it contains. He has full right to make any exception to any rule from within it. in fiqh, we place the Quran above the Sunnah, for reasons of the sciences of narration!
AbdalQadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
abu Hasan
Administrator

i think hamza doesn't understand that 'questioning' has many connotations.
questioning, for clarification; as in the incident of sayyidah ayishah raDiyallahu anha

questioning, for knowledge; as in the case of sayyiduna jibril, in the famous hadith jibril.

questioning, for emphasis; as in the case of sayyiduna RasulAllah sallAllahu alayhi wa sallam asking Sahaba in the departing Hajj: 'what day is today?'

questioning, to teach something; similar to above, as in the case of the master sallAllahu alayhi wa sallam asking his companions whether the carcass of a goat was of any value to them? [and they replied in the negative, thus duniya, this temporal world is of no value, he explained. sallAllahu alayhi wa sallam]

an answer in the form of a question; in the case of SaHabah asking who the 'previous' ones were, and asking whether the master meant the jews and christians; the master sallAllahu alayhi wa sallam says: 'who else?'

questioning, as in inquiry: "who will buy paradise in lieu of purchasing a well for muslims?"

question as a negation: "who amongst you is similar to me?" that is, 'no one is like me'. sallAllahu alayhi wa sallam

questioning, as in challenging someone: "who will save you from me?"

questioning, as in refutation: "who asked you to shave your beard?"

questioning, as an exclamation of surprise: "how will they drink wine ya RasulAllah sallAllahu alayhi wa sallam, after Allah ta'ala has made it Haram!"

-----
these are the quick ones i could come up with in few minutes; i am sure, brothers can add more.

-----
sayyidah ayishah's question was one seeking clarification, and not one of refutation. no saHabi ever dreamed of 'refuting' the master sallAllahu alayhi wa sallam. only an ignoramus would say such a thing.

any person who wants to make a speech and/or mention RasulAllah sallAllahu alayhi wa sallam, should first read the shifa of qaDi iyaD a few times; if they cannot do it, they should either confine themselves to talking about the weather or keep their mouths tightly shut.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:32 PM   #5
Wadood
Resident Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdalQadir
i did say this that he was a wahabi in a former life. this clip may be from that life or maybe not, because he mentions the 4 imams and ilham and so on. in any case now he is a perennialist through and through.

Incase brothers dont know, hanson has made this speech on the topic of perennialism. I just dont consider that serious enough as his gustakh statements.

'Lambs to the Slaughter' [this speech] is done on proving what the 'fitrah' of children is, whether born to nasrani, yahudi, muslim, confucian family. He twists the hadith on fitrah [I think its the first or second clip], and states it clearly that to translate a child being born in fitrah, as a child being born a Muslim, 'is just an interpretation' [and I am quoting him here].

He is referring to Kufr as going against fitrah, whether the child is born in fitrah within confucianism, the example of which he gives. In this speech, kufr, idolatory is secularism. He is attacking secularism. He is not attacking confucians or jews and christians for rejecting Islam as kuffar. He is referring to the seculars as kuffar. The confucians are not in that category. This is the same argument that all perennialists propose and fight for today.

Not once did he say outright clearly that fitrah is Islam. We could have asked the man these two questions, but since he is a gustakh, it does not matter:

1) Do you believe in the Light of the Prophet salAllahu 'alayhi wa alihi wa sallam?

2) What came first as a creation? Islam or fiTrah or Noor e MuHammadi salAllahu 'alayhi wa alihi wa sallam? [if being born on fiTrah is not being born a Muslim, which he calls an interpretation]
Old 03-14-2011, 12:49 AM   #6
kattarsunni
Resident Member

I don't understand why Sunnis are opening up their eyes more now then before? This talk was in 1995!! Are our people that gullible that they have been promoting this guy and even now continue calling him?
Old 03-14-2011, 06:19 AM   #7
abu Hasan
Administrator

Quote:
I don't understand why
youtube and 100mb adsl lines, perhaps?
Old 03-15-2011, 04:52 PM   #8
kattarsunni
Resident Member

This is the type of Islam Hamza Yousef, T J Winter and others want us to promote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofPkmJfSs20
Old 03-16-2011, 03:50 AM   #9
Wadood
Resident Member

Can the moderator brothers please delete irrelevant posts such as the one above.

The Gustakh in this speech 'lambs to the slaughter' is inculcating an idea into the minds of the lambs sitting in front, especially those emancipated 'sisters'. The idea is that you can bypass the Prophet salAllahu alaihi wa sallam, to reach Allah.

You see, they cannot deny Allah, because Allah they need to contrast with secularism, and Allah is essential for perennial thought. But RasulAllah salAllahu alayhi wa alihi wa sallam is a danger to perennial thought. Therefore fade his image by playing down his absolute importance.

This is the wahabism of perennial thought. After all wahabis were a creation of the West, and to this day all of them are.

The university in which the Gustakh gave this speech, the deobandi faraz rabbani was an undergraduate at that time there. I do not know if he was in the audience in front, but most likely he was as a lot of his friends were. To this day deobandi faraz reveres the Gustakh, just visit seekersguidance blog.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:26 AM   #10
AbdalQadir
Resident Member

Quote:
You see, they cannot deny Allah, because Allah they need to contrast with secularism, and Allah is essential for perennial thought. But RasulAllah salAllahu alayhi wa alihi wa sallam is a danger to perennial thought. Therefore fade his image by playing down his absolute importance.

4:150
إِنَّ الَّذِينَ يَكْفُرُونَ بِاللّهِ وَرُسُلِهِ وَيُرِيدُونَ أَن يُفَرِّقُواْ بَيْنَ اللّهِ وَرُسُلِهِ

وَيقُولُونَ نُؤْمِنُ بِبَعْضٍ وَنَكْفُرُ بِبَعْضٍ وَيُرِيدُونَ أَن يَتَّخِذُواْ بَيْنَ ذَلِكَ سَبِيلاً
AbdalQadir is offline   Reply With Quote